When Your Child Might Need a Dental Crown
We recommend using crowns for several reasons:
- When we have to clean out all or part of the nerve of the tooth. When we perform this procedure, called a pulpotomy, the remaining portion of tooth is very fragile. Placing a filling on that tooth does not leave the tooth very strong. A crown helps cover the remaining tooth and keep it strong.
- When the cavity is so large, once removed, would require a large, unstable filling.
- The tooth has had trauma and caused a large portion to break off.
We would only recommend a crown for your child if we felt that was the best option for them and their situation. Dental crowns do have a great success rate and is usually the last treatment that a tooth needs until it falls out.
We Offer Three Types of Dental Crowns
At our offices, our dentists offer three types of crowns for your child. They are:
- Stainless steel crowns (all silver)
- Stainless steel crowns with white facings (generally only used on the front teeth)
- All white zirconium crowns. We proudly use EZ Pedo Zirconia Crowns. Can be used on front and back teeth and look the most natural. When placed on front teeth look very good and appear very natural looking.
The goal in our West Valley City, UT office is to give your child the most conservative procedure necessary. When possible we will do fillings instead of crowns since they are usually more cost-effective for families. However, there are times when a crown is needed and is the best option for a tooth.